Systemic Conferences by Organisation
NOTE: this page is phasing out. Please refer to the Conferences by Date
International Systemic-Functional Congress (ISFC)
The Major Systemic Conference, held since the Seventies.
- ISFC47 2022 25-29 July, 2022. Shenzhen University, China. Co-organisers: (Alex) Xuanwei Peng & Geoff Williams. Pre-Congress Institute beforehand (21-23 July).
Theme: SYSTEMIC FUNCTIONAL LINGUISTICS AND PRAXIS: Sustaining dialogue between theory and practice.
- ISFC48 2023 18-21 March, 2023. Sousse, Tunisia. Organising Chair: Akila Sellami Baklouti. Conference Theme: Systemic Functional Linguistics: Power and Empowerment. Pre-Congress Institute: 16-17 March.
- ISFC49 2024 - University of NSW, Sydney, Australia.
- ISFC50 2025 - Glasgow, Scotland. Conference Chair: Tom Bartlett.
Functional Linguistics Conference
A European branch of the school. Initially known as the
Nottingham Systemic Workshop, and then changed to the Euro-Internalional
Systemic-Functional Workshop. Between 2005 and 2014, it is known as the European
SFL Conference and Workshop. Conferences have been in
Nottingham (1992), Madrid (1993), Antwerp (1994), Valencia (1995),
Nottingham (1996), Halle (1997), Liverpool (1998), Gent (1999), Glasgow
(2000). Brest (2001), Lisbon (2002), Leeds (2003), Miraflores, Spain
(2004) London (2005), Gorizia, (2006), Saarbrucken,
(2007), Helsinki (2008), Cardiff (2009), Koper (2010), Bertinoro
(2012), Coventry (2013), Paris (2014), Aachen (2015), Salzburg (2016), Salamanca (2017), Pavia (2018), Leiria (2019), Sheffield (2021), Odense (2022):
- 2023 15-17 June: Vigo, Spain. Convenor: Ana Elina Martinez Insua. Conference Theme: (Cognitive) developments in multimodal (digital) communication. Expanding traditional borders in SFL.
- 2024, 10-12 July, Politehnica University of Timisoara, Romania, Conference Chair: Claudia Stoian.
Australian Systemic Functional Linguistics
The Australian branch of the school. See their web-site here. Recent
been in Adelaide (??), Brisbane (1994), Sydney (??), Wollongong
(1997), Adelaide (1998), Sydney (2002), Adelaide (2003), Brisbane
(2004), Armidale (2006), Sydney (2007), Kelvin Grove(2009), Adelaide
(2010), Armidale (2011), Melbourne (2013), Sydney (2014), Brisbane (2015), Sydney (2016), Adelaide (2018), Brisbane (2021)
- 2023 - Wollongong University. 22nd-24th November, 2023. Theme: Celebrating semiosis. Convernor: Shooshi Dreyfus. Preconference institute: 21st November.
The Chinese branch of the school. Alternates between the Chinese
Systemic Conference, and a conference on discourse analysis.
Japan Association of Systemic Functional
The Japanese branch of the school. Click here
Latin American Systemic Functional Linguistics Association
The Latin American association. See association website here.
- November 23-25: 17th ALSFAL conference, Universidad Nacional de La Pampa & Universidad Nacional de Cuyo. Videoconferencing only. Abstracts due by 7th May, 2022.
North American Systemic Functional Linguistics Association
2016 meeting: The 2016 meeting of NASFLA will be held at the American
Association of Applied Linguistics Conference, 2016 in Orlando, FL
Sunday, April 10 12:45-1:55pm in Hilton Orlando, Lake Highland B.