Association of Systemic Functional Linguistics of Indonesia
Chairperson: Siti Wachidah
Treasurer: Sri Sumarni
On 10 November, the SFL activists in Indonesia
officially established the Association of Systemic Functional
Linguistics of Indonesia.
The event was marked by:
- The first national SFL seminar attended by more
than 100 participants from different cities in
Indonesia. There were around 30 parallel sessions and
two plenary sessions. One plenary session was by Jim
- The declaration of ASFLI by Jim Martin
- Prior to the seminar, there were other seminars by
Jim at Atmajaya University and Jakarta State
University, all of which were greatly appreciated.
- The event took place at Jakarta State University
which is now our headquarter at least for 3 years. The
headquarter will move to different a different
university every 3 years. For practical reasons, the
"Jakarta group" is now in charge of ASFLI (see above).
From the presentations and the panel sessions we learn
Among the audience were graduate and doctorate
students who are currently doing their research on
SFL. This is the tip of an iceberg. There are alot
more doing SFL studies in different cities.
It looks like SFL has developed strong roots in the
country and we have every reason to hope for further
- SFL has been widely spread in Indonesia since some
universities have been introducing SFL and other SFL
related subjects in their universities.
- Since SFL has become a major issue in some graduate
schools, our graduates spread SFL further to the
neighbouring universities. In Central Java, for
example, private universities have incorporated SFL in
- SFL is now the basis of our national English
(communicative)competence standards.Schools are
supposed to develop their own curricula based on these
- Genres and genre-based approach is now a widespread
issue and many teachers are very enthusiastic about